The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in London, United Kingdom

Family members of EU/EEA nationals

Under Directive 2004/38/EC, a family member of an EU/EEA national does not require a visa for the Netherlands if he/she qualifies as a family member of a Union citizen to whom the provisions of this directive apply. The type of residence permit, the country of residence of the EU/EEA national and the actual details of the trip will determine if a visa is required for the specific trip.

Holder of a 'Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National' or of a 'Permanent residence card' issued after the expiration of the 5-year EEA family member residence card:

  • travelling to the Netherlands accompanied by his/her EU/EEA family member or joining the EU/EEA national (not a Dutch national*) who is moving to or residing in the Netherlands: no visa required.

Please note that the residence permit must be endorsed in a valid passport or travel document and that you may be requested by the immigration authorities to provide documentary proof of the relationship (e.g. original birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate) and of the use of the right of free movement of the EU/EEA national (e.g. a registration certificate). Furthermore, this only applies when travelling directly to the Netherlands. When travelling to the Netherlands through another country, please check with the appropriate Embassy.

  • not accompanied by the EU/EEA national or not travelling to the Netherlands to join the EU/EEA national (not a Dutch national*): visa required. Regular Schengen visa procedures apply.


residence card of an EEA family member

permanent residence card

Family member of an EU/EEA national who holds a different type of residence permit:

  • travelling with the EU/EEA national to the Netherlands: visa required.

  • when travelling to the Netherlands without the EU/EEA family member, regular Schengen visa procedures apply. This also applies to spouses/children of British nationals who do not hold a Residence Card as a Family Member of an EU/EEA National.

* Please note that EU nationals who have always lived in the country of their nationality are not exercising EU treaty rights and are therefore not considered Union citizens. Their family members therefore are not covered by the provisions of Directive 2004/38/EC.