The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in London, United Kingdom

Applying for a travel document in the United Kingdom (UK)

You can apply for a Dutch passport and / or a Dutch identity card (ID card) at the Dutch Embassy in London.

Do I need to make an appointment to apply for my passport or ID card?

Yes, you do.

As of 5 September 2016 you can renew your Dutch passport or identity card (ID-card) at both the Netherlands Embassy in London and at the VFS Global office in Edinburgh

Applying at the Netherlands Embassy in London
You can make an appointment via the Embassy's online appointment system. In busy periods the first available appointment may be some weeks away. However, earlier appointments do become available from time to time e.g. due to cancellations. You are advised to book the first available appointment and then check from time to time to see if an earlier appointment has become available.

All applicants - including all children for whom an application will be lodged - need to come in person. Please make sure to prepare all the required documents listed on the checklist and check the additional requirements on this page (if applicable) and make sure to arrive at the Embassy 5 - 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time.

Because of limited space in the waiting area and to expedite the flow, applicants who arrive very early may be requested to wait outside the Embassy. Friends and family members who do not have an appointment will not be allowed to enter the Embassy.

You may lose your appointment if the passport application form has not been completed fully, you do not have correct photo's or you are late for your appointment.

Applying at the VFS Global office in Edinburgh
As part of a pilot project, as of 5 September 2016 you can, under certain conditions, renew your Dutch passport or ID-card at the VFS Global office in Edinburgh.
Please note that for first time applications and renewals after theft or loss of your current travel document you will always need to schedule an appointment with the embassy in London.

Please read this news item for further information about the application process.

Applying for an (emergency) Dutch travel document - current Dutch passport or identity card with the Home Office

You will have to submit all identity and travel documents in your name (even if these are no longer valid) when applying for a Dutch passport or identity card.

If you have sent your Dutch passport or identity card to the Home Office to apply for a UK residence permit for yourself, you will need to ask the Home Office to return your passport or identity card.

It is not possible to apply for an emergency travel document whilst your passport or identity card is with the Home Office for your UK residence permit application.


Additional requirement: original and legalised certificates

Please note: Please always bring the original legalised certificates, as well as a photocopy.

Documents issued by the British authorities should be legalised with an apostille stamp. For more information see: Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

For information about the legalisation requirements for documents from other countries, please click here.

Additional requirement: applications for minors - parental responsibility

Under Dutch passport regulations, every passport application for a minor (up to the age of 18) and every application for a Dutch identity card for children up to the age of 12 requires the consent of all people with parental responsibility for that minor.

Please note that both parents have to show their passports as proof of identity and nationality when lodging an application for a minor. 

If a parent can not be present at the time of the application a legalised consent form needs to be presented together with a copy of the holder page of his/her passport.

Please click here for more information and the consent form.

Certificate of marital status issued by the local authorities in your country of residence

The United Kingdom does not have a population register and it is not possible to obtain a certificate of marital status from a local authority. You can therefore submit a completed and signed declaration of civil status for the period of residence in the UK. Please click here for more information.


What documents must I submit as proof of legal residence in the UK?

Point 2 of the checklist asks you for proof of legal residence.

If you live in the UK and are applying for a Dutch passport or ID card, you will have to submit proof of address by way of e.g. a recent utility or council tax bill.

Where can I have a photo taken?

You are free to choose a photographer. However, the passport photograph must meet the Dutch requirements. In the UK these photographers are aware of the requirements for Dutch passport and ID card photographs. The Embassy reserves the right to reject photos that do not meet the Dutch requirements.

The Dutch Embassy is in no way liable for incorrect passport photographs or any (additional) costs incurred. Please make your own arrangements with the photographer for a refund in case your photos are rejected.


How much will my new passport or ID card cost and how do I pay for it?

You can find the current passport and other consular fees on the overview of consular fees.

Payments have to be made by debit or credit card (any Visa or Master card). Payment will be in euro's. Your bank may charge a fee.

American Express, Diners, postal orders and  cheques are not accepted.

You can only pay cash (and only the exact amount in British pounds) when your debit or credit card is declined.

When and how will I receive my new passport or ID card?

It takes an average of three weeks to process an application. You may be asked to provide additional documents once you have submitted your application. In that case, processing may take four to eight weeks.

It is not (yet) possible to follow the status of your application via a track and trace code.

When you apply for a new passport or ID card you can choose to collect it in person or have it sent to you by post. Your old passport or ID card must be invalidated before a new one can be given or sent to you.

If you prefer to collect your new travel document in person, the Embassy will send you an email when it is ready to be collected. You can collect your document without making an appointment from Monday until Friday between 10.00 and 12.00 and 14.00 and 15.30 hours. Do not forget to take the letter of a print of the email you received to indicate that your passport or ID card is ready to be collected and take note of our closing days.

Please note that in addition to the closing days listed, the consular section is closed to the public every 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month.

For an additional charge of £7.00 you can also choose to have the new Dutch passport or ID card sent  to any (safe) British address by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

If you need to use your current passport or ID card (e.g. for a trip) while your application is being processed, you can still lodge an application. However, you will have to send the passport or ID card with a print of the email informing you that your new document is ready  to the passport section by registered mail.  Your new passport or ID card can only be sent to you after receipt of your current passport or ID card.

Your old travel document will be invalidated and returned to you as well. If certain pages need to remain intact, for instance because they contain a visa or residence permit that is still valid, please indicate this clearly.

Do I use the online appointment system to make an appointment for an application for Dutch nationality?

No. Appointments for applications for Dutch nationality, be they naturalisation applications or options, have to be made by sending an email to



Further questions?

Do you have a question about applying for a travel document and you can't find the answer above?

Please first check our frequently asked questions page.

Should you still have a question after reading that page, please contact us via our contact form.