The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in London, United Kingdom

Renewing an adult Dutch passport

If you are a Dutch national aged 18 or over and need to renew your Dutch passport, or if you were previously added to one of your parents’ passports, you can apply for a new Dutch passport.

Checklist of required documents

For every document, you must provide the original and one photocopy. Where relevant, ‘marriage’ can be read as ‘registered partnership’.

In general, documents issued in countries other than the Netherlands should first be legalised. Legalisation requirements vary per country. For more information, visit the page on document legalisation.

Remember to read the information about applying from your country of residence. If any extra information is available, it will be given in the column on the right. 

1. All identity and travel documents in your name, even if these are no longer valid. [ ]
2. Evidence of legal residence in the country you are applying from. To find out which document you require, please go to ‘Applying for a travel document in [name of country]’. [ ]
3. A photo that meets Dutch requirements. For more information, see the Photomatrix guidelines 2007. [ ]
4. A completed and signed passport application form. For this you have 2 options:

- the application form that you can print first and then fill it out using a pen
- the application form that you can fill out online first and then make a printout
Both versions are available in Dutch only. For an explanation in English, please refer to the Guide for the passport application form.

[ ]
5. If you want your partner’s name included in your passport for the first time, please provide a copy of your marriage certificate. This should give your and your partner’s full names, date of marriage or registered partnership and, if relevant, the date of divorce. [ ]
  You can have the name of your current partner or ex-partner, and their relationship to you, included in your passport. If you have remarried or divorced since your last passport application, or if your partner has died, your marital status has changed. This means you must have your status in your passport changed or removed. [ ]
  If your deceased partner’s name is already included in your passport, and you wish to retain it, the official copy of their death certificate does not need to be recent. But it must be legalised. [ ]
6. If you have a citizen service number ( Burgerservicenummer (BSN)) and it is not given in your current passport, it must be included in your new passport. With your application, please provide a letter from a public authority on which your citizen service number (BSN) appears, e.g. a letter from the Tax and Customs Administration ( Belastingdienst). For more information, visit the page on the citizen service number. [ ]

If this is the first time you have renewed your Dutch passport since turning 18 and you hold dual nationality, please provide the following documents:


Proof that one of your parents held Dutch nationality until you were at least 18 years old. For example:

- A Dutch passport and a valid residence permit for the country of residence.


[ ]

- Other documentation proving Dutch nationality.


[ ]
  - A complete official copy of your birth certificate or extract from the register of births ( geboorteregister), giving your place of birth and your parents’ full names. [ ]


  • Documents issued in countries other than the Netherlands will only be accepted if they have been issued by the country where the legal fact or legal act (e.g. birth or marriage) occurred. Documents in English, French or German do not need to be translated. Civil status record extracts in Spanish are accepted without translation as well. Documents in all other languages must be accompanied by a sworn translation. The translation must also be legalised, unless it was provided by a sworn translator registered in the Netherlands.
  • If a foreign document has already been entered into the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Registered Partnerships ( Register van de Burgerlijke Stand) at the municipality of The Hague’s Foreign Documents Department ( Afdeling Landelijke Taken), an official copy issued by this department is sufficient. For more information, visit the Municipality of The Hague website.