The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in London, United Kingdom

FAQ's Passport and ID card

On this page:

1. Which travel documents can I apply for?

You can apply for or renew a passport or an identity card at the Embassy in London and in certain cases at VFS Global in Edinburgh. More information about passport applications in Edinburgh, click here:

All applications have to be made in person. It is not possible to apply by post or online. To submit an application at the Embassy, you will need to book an appointment online.

It is no longer possible to lodge passport or identity card applications at any of the consulates.

2. I would like to apply for a passport and an identity card. Will I need a separate appointment for each document?

No. You don't need a separate appointment for every document that you are applying for. You will, however, have to indicate how many applications you will be submitting as time slots are allocated on the basis of the number of applications. To submit an application at the Embassy, you will need to book an appointment online.

3. Can I have my married name in my passport?

In your Dutch passport you will always keep your maiden name. However, it is possible to have a line added which states: wife/husband of, followed by the name of your wife/husband. To have the name of your wife/husband added to your passport, you will need to submit a (legalised) marriage certificate.

4. Is it possible to have my new travel document sent to me by post?

Yes. Sending by courier will be an extra £7.00 and can be sent to any (safe) British address. This does mean however that it will not be possible to check the fingerprints in your passport. 

5. Can I keep my passport and/or identity card during the application?

During the application/renewal of your passport or identity card it is possible to keep your current travel document if this is still valid. However, once we receive the new passport at the Embassy your current travel document will need to be made invalid before your new document can be issued. Therefore you will either be notified to come to the Embassy with the current document to collect the new one, or you will be notified to send us the current document and once we receive it it will be made invalid and sent to you together with the new document. Please discuss this at the time of your application.

6. My passport / identity card has expired, what should I do?

The advice is to always keep your passport/identity card up to date. In case of an expired passport/identity card, you will need to apply for a new one as soon as possible. This can be done by appointment at the Embassy in London. Please read the instructions about passports and identity card applications carefully.

If your travel document (passport/Identity card) expired more than two years ago, you will need to submit a letter of the UK Border Agency stating you have (or have not) obtained the British nationality. After you obtained the letter, you can apply for a new travel document.

7. Which countries can I travel to with my Dutch identity card?

Click here for a list of countries you can travel to on your Dutch identity card (in Dutch only).

8. I would like to apply for a travel document for several family members. Will I need to make a separate appointment for every person?

No. You can book one appointment but you will have to indicate the number of passports and/or identity card applications that will be submitted. Time slots for appointments are calculated on the basis of the number of applications to be lodged.

9. Do children need to appear in person for their application?

Yes. Everyone, including babies and small children will have to appear in person.

10. Do both parents need to appear in person for the application of their child?

The consent of every person with parental responsibility is required. It is recommended that all people with parental responsibility (usually both parents) are present during the passport application of a minor up to the age of 18 (or identity card application up to 12 years of age).

Should one of the people with parental responsibility not be able to accompany the child, live abroad or not be willing to give his/her consent, kindly check our website for possible solutions.

11. When/Why do I need to present a recently issued birth certificate when I’m applying for a passport or identity card for a Dutch minor? Do I also need to present this again when applying for a passport for a second or third time?

Under Dutch passport regulations, every passport application for a minor (up to the age of 18) and identity card applications for children up to the age of 12 require the consent of all people with parental responsibility for that minor. At the time of the application, the Embassy therefore requires documentary evidence to ascertain who the child's legal parents are and who has parental responsibility for the child.

As the Embassy cannot consult documents that have been submitted for a previous application and the situation may have changed since then, a birth certificate or extract from the birth register has to be provided with every application.

When only one parent was listed on the original birth certificate, the Embassy will require a recently issued birth certificate (not older than six months). This is to determine whether an acknowledgement of paternity has taken place after the original birth registration.

When a child was born in the Netherlands and/or is registered in the BRP (previously GBA), changes in the birth registration that have taken place after the child left the Netherlands are not registered in the BRP. In that case, a recently issued, full birth certificate ('afschrift van de geboorteakte') will be required.

When two parents are listed on the birth certificate or in the BRP, the Embassy will assume that both parents have parental responsibility. This may not always be the case, for instance when the parents are not married and the father has acknowledged paternity in the Netherlands, but no parental responsibility agreement was registered with the court in the Netherlands. However,  it is then up to the applicant to prove that the father doesn’t have parental responsibility if they are no longer in touch or if the father refuses to give permission.

When an acknowledgement of paternity took place after the child in question left the Netherlands, this may not be shown on the BRP or the BRP extract. In that case, only a recently issued birth certificate ('afschrift van de geboorteakte') will show the details of the acknowledgement of paternity. If the parents are not married, the court where the regional custody register ('gezagsregister') is held can confirm if the father has acquired parental responsibility.

If you do not (or no longer) have a (recently issued) birth certificate and you do not think that you need one, please contact the Embassy before you visit us to clarify your situation. The Embassy can then assess the situation and advice whether it is necessary to provide this document.

For more information about parental responsibility, please click here.

12. Is it necessary for birth and/or marriage certificates to be legalised?

Dutch certificates do not need to be legalised. For further information on the legalisation of foreign documents click here.

13. Why do I have to legalise an official foreign document?

An official document that has been issued in another country isn’t automatically legal in the Netherlands. A foreign document can often be legalised by asking the government of that country to confirm that a public official’s signature, seal or stamp on the document is genuine. This is called legalisation.

For information on how to do this, click here.

14. Is it possible to have another nationality apart from the Dutch nationality?

In addition to the Dutch nationality you may possess one or more other nationalities. In some cases you will have to choose between your Dutch and other nationality. For more information click here .

15. Is it possible to lose the Dutch nationality?

Yes. You can lose your Dutch nationality if you voluntarily decide to take on another nationality, or if for instance you committed fraud when acquiring Dutch nationality. For more information click here.

16. I'm an unmarried Dutch father of children born after March 2009, which additional information do I need when applying for their passport or identity card?

Please note that there have been various changes in recent years in Dutch nationality law with respect to the acquisition of Dutch nationality as a result of acknowledgement of paternity by a Dutch father.

In order to obtain a Dutch passport or identity card for the child, additional documents to submit are:

  • Declaration regarding civil status, see forms;
  • An original ( legalised ) declaration regarding civil status of the father if the father acknowledged paternity in the UK on or after 1 March 2009 and the child was under the age of seven the day of the acknowledgement.

Since it’s not possible to explain these laws in detail here, you are requested to submit all the relevant documents to the consular officer upon your appointment for further information and advice.

17. Is it possible to add my child to my passport?

From 26 June 2012 it is no longer possible to include children on a parent's or guardian's passport, children must have their own passport or identity card. Furthermore, the validity of all existing child additions expired on 26 June 2012. This will not affect the validity of the parent's or guardian's passport.

Please refer to the following leaflet (in Dutch and English) produced by the Ministry of the Kingdom and Interior Relations in February 2012.

18. My child/baby is born in the United Kingdom, can he/she travel on the birth certificate?

No. Everyone needs a passport or identity card to travel, your baby cannot travel on a birth certificate. Please check the website for the requirements for a passport/identity card application.

19. Is it possible to take photos at the Embassy?

No this is not possible. Please click here for a list on instructed photographers.

20. Can I also apply for a new Dutch driving license at the Embassy?

No. Dutch driving licenses are not issued to people living in other EU/EEA-countries. You will need to apply to the British authorities ( DVLA) for a British driving license. More information on Dutch driving licenses is available on

21. Will I need a birth certificate for my child's application?

Yes. For every passport application for a minor until 18 years old you will need to submit a birth certificate, even if your child already has a passport. For the application of an identity card we will need this for children under the age of 12.

22. Will I need proof of de-registration from the last city I lived in the Netherlands?

No, this is not required for the application of a passport or identity card. However to apply for an identity card you need to be de-registered in the Netherlands. If you are still registered at the time of your application this information will be forwarded to the ‘gemeente’ who will then de-register you.

23. Can I pay by cheque or debit/credit card?

The preferred payment method at the Embassy in London is by debit or credit card or any Visa or Master card. Cash payments are only accepted if your credit/debit card is not accepted by our cash register and if you pay the exact amount charged. Please note: American Express and (postal) cheques are not accepted.

24. One of my (grand)parents was born in the Netherlands and emigrated to a Commonwealth country. Can I apply for a Dutch passport?

As these matters are complicated, please refer to Dutch nationality for more information

25. I have been married to a Dutch national for three years. Can I now apply for a Dutch passport?

No. You will first have to apply for naturalisation . You can only apply for a Dutch passport once you have been granted Dutch nationality and have attended the citizenship ceremony where you will receive the 'Bekendmaking van verlening van het Nederlanderschap' .

26. I'm planning a trip to the Netherlands. Does my British passport have to be valid for three months past my stay in the Netherlands?

No. Your British passport has to be valid for the duration of your stay in the Netherlands.

27. I have already booked an appointment but need to come at an earlier date, how can I arrange this?

Once you receive your booking reference you can log into the booking system a few times a day to check whether an earlier appointment has become available. In case of an emergency you can contact the Passport and Legalisation Helpdesk, you need to provide evidence of the emergency.

28. I have not received a confirmation of my appointment, what do I do?

It might have ended up in your junk mail box, please check this first. If not you can contact the Passport and Legalisation helpdesk, for contact information click here.

29. I would like to reconfirm my appointment date and time.

After you have completed your personal details in the online appointment system please click ‘Verification’. Within a few minutes you should receive an e-mail with a link to confirm your appointment. This extra step is needed to verify your e-mail address. The link has to be activated within 4 hours, otherwise you will lose your appointment. If you have lost and/or cannot retrieve your appointment confirmation, however you can contact the Passport and Legalisation helpdesk.

30. Can I book an emergency appointment?

Please contact the Passport and Legalisation helpdesk to explain why you need an emergency appointment. You will be asked to provide evidence of the emergency.

31. Is the passport for minors (under the age of 18) also valid for 10 years?

No, the passport for minors (under the age of 18 years) is still valid for five years.

32. My passport is valid for 6 more months; can I still travel with it?

How long your passport needs to be valid for depends on the destination of your trip. Please ask for advice at the embassy of the country you are travelling to.

34. What is a second passport and when can I apply for one?

Based on ‘artikel 30’ of the Passport law (‘Paspoortwet onder bijzondere omstandigheden’) in special circumstances a second passport can be issued to a person already in possession of a valid Dutch travel document. These special circumstances are the need to travel to various countries for which a visa is compulsory or the need to travel to conflicting countries. To hold only one passport would be a constant issue in travelling to one of these countries. A second passport looks the same as a regular passport; however it is only valid for two years. If needed the second passport can also be issued with 66 pages (similar to the regular business passport).

Based on ‘artikel 24 PUB’ in the Dutch law a second passport is valid for two years and for all countries.

Based on ‘artikel 23 PUB’ it needs to be stated on the application form that the request is for a second passport. The first passport needs to be shown at the time of the application. In case the first passport is valid less than six months at the time of the application, a second passport can only be applied for after the first passport has been renewed.

The use of a second passport is always at risk of the holder. We stress specifically that only one passport needs to be shown when crossing borders.

In addition to all documents mentioned on the checklist for a regular application a second passport application needs to be supported by a letter from your employer, stating specifically how often and which countries you travelled to in the past as well as which countries you will travel to in the future and how frequent.

An appointment can be made here.

35. What is a citizen service number (BSN), and is this the same as the old ‘sofi’ number?

The citizen service number (BSN) is a personal number for a citizen’s contacts with the authorities. The number consists of 9 digits. This unique number helps to prevent cases of mistaken identity, amongst other things.

The BSN offers benefits for both citizens and the authorities. It makes contacts with the municipa-lity and other (public) bodies easier. When you register in the Netherlands for the first time, you will be issued with a BSN. Everyone who starts work provides this BSN to their employer. The employer uses it to arrange a number of things for the citizen with bodies such as the Tax Administration and the pension fund. The health service also uses the BSN. When you visit a general practitioner, hospital or pharmacy you may be asked for your BSN.

Only a BSN is issued nowadays; ‘sofi’ numbers are no longer issued. In many cases the ‘sofi’ number has been upgraded to the BSN. You will therefore continue to use this number. In some cases a completely new number has been assigned, for example if the old ‘sofi’ number was no longer active.

The difference between the BSN and the ‘sofi’ number is the way in which and for which the BSN is used. The BSN is a general personal number which is used across the public sector, such as in education or healthcare. The ‘sofi’ number was only used for social security/tax purposes. The BSN makes it possible for people to be able to communicate with the authorities using just one number. The municipality issues the BSN under the Wet algemene bepalingen burgerservicenummer [Citizen Service Number (General Provisions) Act] and includes it in the Municipal Personal Records Database. The ‘sofi’ number was previously issued by the Tax Administration.

For more information please go to

More information about the registration of non-residents can be found in this publication.

36. I don’t have a citizen service number (BSN) yet, but I need one, how do I apply?

If you live abroad and come to the Netherlands to work or study, you will need a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer (BSN)) for your dealings with the Dutch authorities. You will be issued this number when you register in the Netherlands. If you will be staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months, you can register with one of 18 municipalities in the Netherlands. More information can be found in this leaflet.

If you will be staying for more than 4 months, you are required to register in the municipality where you live.

37. Can I apply for a DigiD (Digital Identity) eventhough I live abroad?

If you live abroad and are a Dutch national, you can collect a DigiD activation code at certain Dutch municipalities and Dutch Embassies abroad. It is also possible to collect the activation code at the Netherlands Embassy in London.

Before you make an appointment to come to the Embassy to collect your DigiD-activation code - via our online appointment system - you first need to go through the application process.

More in formation (Dutch only) can be found here.


38. I am a Dutch national and my child was born in the United Kingdom. Can I, or do I need to register the birth certificate in the Netherlands?

You can register the birth certificate in the Netherlands. This is not mandatory, however it is recommended. If your child later needs a copy or extract from the birth certificate they can retrieve it in the Netherlands. This saves time and costs. More information about the legalisation and registration of a foreign certificate in the Netherlands can be found here.

When someone has to make use of health care in the Netherlands it is convenient when the person has a Dutch Social Security Number (BSN). Also if someone wants to open a Dutch bank account or apply for child support a BSN is required.

You can also request a BSN and DigiD at some counters of municipalities in the Netherlands. If you come from abroad to the Netherlands for work or study you will need a BSN for any dealings with the Dutch authorities. Also when you want to use health care, child benefits or open a Dutch bank account your BSN is often asked for.

For more information about applying for a BSN see question 36.

For any dealings with the Dutch authorities for business purposes a DigiD is useful, for more information about a DigiD see question 37.

39. Does a minor need extra proof of consent when travelling with one parent or alone?

Children travelling abroad and accompanied by only one of their parents or other relatives, as well as unaccompanied minors, may be asked to prove that both parents with parental responsibility have given their consent for their journey when crossing borders.

We therefore recommend you check beforehand which rules apply in the countries of departure, transit and final destination.
For information about (intensified) checks at Schiphol Airport, check the website of the Ministry of Defence.

40. Can I apply for a Schengen visa if I have a C-visit visa for the UK?

As a general rule, only applications from persons who reside legally in the jurisdiction of the competent Embassy should be accepted. However, an application may be accepted from a person legally present – but not residing – in the jurisdiction of the Embassy where the application is submitted, if he can justify why the application could not be lodged at an Embassy in his place of residence. It is for the Embassy to determine whether the justification presented by the applicant is acceptable.

"Non-residing applicant" means an applicant who resides elsewhere but is legally present within the jurisdiction of the Embassy where he submits the application.

"Legally present" means that the applicant is entitled to stay temporarily in the jurisdiction on the basis of the legislation of the third country where he is present either for a short stay or when he is allowed to stay for a longer period of time while maintaining his permanent residence in another third country.

41. What can a consulate still do for you after 1 March 2015?

From 1 March 2015 consulates are able to:

  • Issue Laissez-Passers in emergency cases.
  • Issue/sign a certificate of life, a certified copy of a Dutch national’s passport and the legalisation of a signature of a Dutch national.

From 1 March 2015 Consulates can no longer:

  • Take in passport or identity card applications. For passport and identity card applications an online appointment has to be made with the Netherlands Embassy in London.
  • Take in visa applications. For more information on how to make an online appointment after 1 March 2015 with VFS in London, Manchester or Edinburgh please click here.

From 1 March 2015 the following consular certificates can be applied for by post, or by appointment at the Netherlands Embassy in London:

  • Nationality certificate, certificate of no impediment or statement of residence.

For contact details of consulates please click here.


42. My Dutch passport only shows a year of birth (XX-XX-year). Why is this and can this be changed?

When a person acquires Dutch nationality by way of naturalisation and no reliable documents are available to establish the exact date of birth, the naturalisation certificate only states the year of birth. In this case, the Dutch passport or Dutch identity card will also only show the year of birth (in the format XX-XX-year).

This can only be changed on a Dutch passport or on a Dutch identity card after the court in The Hague has approved a request to determine a date of birth ('vaststelling geboortegegevens'). The court order then has to be registered with the local council in The Hague. A request has to be made to the court through a solicitor in the Netherlands. Names and contact details of Dutch family law solicitors are a.o. available on